Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year at Mountainview Elementary School! I am proud to serve as your Mountainview Principal, and I look forward to our continued partnership in providing our Bobcats with the best elementary school experience. If your family is new to our school, I extend a warm welcome and look forward to meeting you in person. I am thrilled to start our year of learning together! #mvbobcats
We want to make this school year THE BEST YET!! We are going to #ElevateMV. What does this mean? We are going to work as a team to elevate our relationships with our students, elevate our school wide PBIS, and elevate our work in the classrooms. This is going to be a challenge because we were already doing great things in all these areas, but when it comes to our students, our committed staff won't rest until we're the best!
?What you can expect from me:
I take my role as Principal very seriously, and Mr. DeHaas feels the same about his role as Assistant Principal. We recognize that with those roles comes great expectation. To that end, there are several things you can expect from us:
- Student-centered decisions- Each day there are many decisions that need to be made to keep the school moving forward. Some of those decisions will be better received than others, but at the heart of every decision is the question, "What's best for our kids?" Whether it's their safety, academic or social-emotional well-being being considered, any decision made based on what's best for them is a decision I can stand behind.
- Communication- We share a lot of information and updates about the school via our social media- Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. This is where we post our monthly digital newsletter. I also do a School Messenger call, text, and email each Friday. This message is duplicated as a Remind message as well. I urge you to get connected with at least one mode to stay connected to what's going on at your student's school.
- Active listener- I recognize that you are your child's biggest advocate. If there is anything you would like to discuss or problem-solve, I would like to speak with you so we can work together toward a successful resolution. I am always open and willing to listen and work with families.
What I am requesting from you:
- Get/Stay involved- Whether it's attending PTO meetings, volunteering to read-aloud to your child's classroom, participating in the Career Cafe' for our 5th graders, or staying connected with what's happening in our school and your child's classroom, it is my hope that you find a way to be active in your child's elementary school experience in whatever way works with your work and life schedule.
- If there is a concern- If there is a concern about a grade, peer issue, or something your child says that you'd like more context/clarification on, please reach out to the teacher directly. Our teachers would be happy to speak with you about any concern you have and are the best to provide the answers you are looking for.
- Reinforce PAWS- As part of our school-wide Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports (PBIS), we work hard to teach students the importance of PAWS- being Proud, having and Awesome Attitude, being Well-mannered, and making Safe decisions. We teach and reinforce those key attributes and recognize students when they meet those expectations. The beauty of PAWS is that they can be easily transferred to your home. Please discuss what it means to have PAWS at home- Proud (cleaning up after themselves), having an Awesome Attitude (playing fair with their siblings or neighbors), being Well-mannered (using kind words) and making Safe choices (using their hands in a nice way).